Graphic Calculus is a suite of programs
to help students of different ages with the visualization, exploration and
conceptualization of mathematical concepts.
- Graphic Calculus has a powerful graph
- Students can test their knowledge of graphs
in finding the formula.
- The option Line draws a line through two
points and shows the changes of the formula as the point moves.
- With Parabola you can draw the graph of a
quadratic equation through two points.
- In the module Exponential functions, the effects of
changing of the parameters on the graph is shown.
- Trigonometric functions show the
construction of the sine, cosine and tangent from the unit circle.
- Diagram of change show the decrease and
increase in different ways.
Advanced parts of the program
- Gradient shows the drawing of a slope in a
specific point as well as the graph of a gradient function.
- Area shows the area under a graph and
calculates its value. Area shows the area function of a given graph.
- In first order differential equations the
direction field and the solution through any starting point is
- Functions of two variables plots perspective
drawings of surfaces z=f(x,y), either in 3D or as level lines.
- The Cob-Web graph to solve f(x)=x.
- Taylor polynomials to approximate
functions with polynomials.
- Financial mathematics to visualize present
value of an annuity or a bond.
- Linear Programming will solve lp-problems
- Complex functions represents complex
functions w=f(z), like sin(z), by drawing figures in the z-plane and their
image in the w-plane.
There are plenty of possibilities to adjust the
program to the mathematical competency of your students. The program should
especially benefit starting students.
and manual to get a
good impression of the value of the software for mathematical education. The
manual contains a lot of ideas to use the program.
of parameter is an interesting paper of Carel van de Giessen about the
different ways parameters are used in mathematical education. Some lessons in Standard
functions with Graphic Calculus
- Drawing graphs and curves in
- Axes can have labels such as cost,
height etc. If your schoolbook uses word variables in graphs, your
graph plotter ought to do the same
- Graphic Calculus is using familiar
- Sliding parameter
- Calculate tables
- Zooming and trace
Draw the graph of an unknown function
and guess the formula. Make your own collection of exercises.